With vast nature reserves, forest, farmland, hills and mountains, Canberra has gained the nickname “Bush Capital”. And comes with that, are various pests that surround and live among us.
Some of them are TERMITES, RATS and SPIDERS. They are among the most annoying and tenacious pests and getting the help of pest control experts will be best when dealing with them.
Canberra is home to many eucalyptus trees and shrubs which are attractive to termites. Their nests are often found in the root crowns or trunk of Eucalyptus trees.
But modernization comes with development. And as Canberra expands, trees and shrubs are cleared out. Termites look for other places to build their nest. Their next location, it could be your home.
Before it gets worse, protect your property by looking for the best pest control services Canberra.
Types of Termites
There are approximately 2,000 known termite species, and 360 of those are found in Australia. It is important to identify the correct type of termites to provide the proper and the most effective treatment. This is why termite inspection and termite treatments must be carried out by licensed and experienced technicians to ensure that work is done properly.
The three types of termites include:
- Subterranean – This is the most common type and also the most destructive one. They live underground in contact with the soil.
- Drywood – They live in small colonies inside pieces of timber. They do not need to be near the soil and prefer wood with less moisture.
- Dampwood – they infest wood with high moisture. They prefer to attack outside timber like trees or stumps.
Protection Starts with Prevention
It is recommended to conduct a general pest control or termite inspection annually. And when you want the best pest control service Canberra, A1 Pest Control is the one to go for.
We offer two ways to conduct your inspection.
- Thermal imaging – We are among the few pest control companies in Canberra that offer state-of-the-art technology in detecting termite activities. In this process, thermal cameras are used to detect heat radiated by termites.
- Visual inspection – Our technicians will use a golf ball on a stick, moisture meter and torch, move around the property and check for any abnormalities or signs of infestations.
How to Protect Your Property from Termites?
Our properties are one of our best investments, there’s no doubt about that. And so what’s the best way to protect it against termites? That is to install a pre-construction termite barrier. A1 Pest Control Canberra has been installing pre-construction and post-construction barriers for many years now. We are the termite pest control experts.
To eliminate termite infestation, we highly recommend the use of BASF Termidor which effectively eradicates not just one termite but the entire colony. Termidor guarantees a long-term effect, which can last for up to 8 years.
Be Wary of Rats and Spiders
Apart from termites, people in Canberra also have other pests to be wary of. Rats and spiders are pests that prefer locations that are rich in forests and shrubs. They are stubborn, and do-it-yourself treatments really don’t work on them.
Rats bring us nothing but problems. They are known for carrying diseases and contaminating food. Once they’ve gained access to your home, it will be hard to eliminate them. Not taking any action against them can lead to serious problems.
Rats’ teeth do continuously grow. And they need to gnaw wood or plastic to trim them. Once inside your house, they tend to chew through electrical wires which can cause fires.
Another common pest in Canberra is spiders. Funnel web spiders, mouse spiders, and redback spiders are the most dangerous of their kinds. In case you get bitten, immediately seek medical help. Know more about these dangerous spiders in Australia here.