Pest infestations are common in Australia, and one of the most known pests in our area are termites. Termites are silent workers and their evidence are usually seen when there’s already huge damage to our property. Still, many homeowners are thinking that they are not much of a threat.
Treating termites are far more difficult than preventing them. And once you have them, you can guarantee the damage has already been done.
What are the signs of termites in your home?
Termite infestation leaves some indication such as:
- Termites build mud shelter tubes, which can be seen in architraves or brick foundations. This serves as their protection.
- Timber with the hollow sound
- Doors and floors that sag
- Cracked plaster or paint
- Power failures – the warmth of electrical fittings attracts termites
Are termites harmful to humans?
Aside from their damages to our homes, another common question we asked is if termites are harmful to our health. On their own, termites do not pose a direct impact on humans or even pets. Termites are not known to carry harmful diseases. They do sting but rarely. But when they do, it causes extreme pain, itching and swelling. In some cases, people who live in termites infected houses suffer from allergies or asthma attack.
Once termites invaded an area, it is difficult to exterminate them. It is best to contact our professional technicians and book an annual inspection to prevent harmful effects.
Do you need a termite inspection?
It makes sense to have an annual inspection when you look at the amount already that you have invested in a property. Add that to the fact that insurance does not cover termite damage. Always put aside funds for property maintenance to ensure that it does not fall down around you.
What to do if you find termites?
- Do not disturb them when you find their location because they tend to dig deeper into the ground and harder to find. And the worse case is that they move to another location within your property.
- Have a termite inspection. You may have found one termite colony but they could also be in other spots in the yard or inside the house. Call A1 Pest Control Canberra and we will do a thorough inspection of your property.
- Apply treatment for the infestation. We kill the termites by using our quality products that are not harmful to humans and pets.
- Install a termite barrier. We highly recommend BASF Termidor chemical termite barrier. Why? It’s the only treatment that has 8-year $2M warranty of the termites NOT coming back!